So this week has been pretty crazy but that doesn't mean that I can't look fabulous anyways! So on Thursday I sort of gave my two weeks notice to my current job. I say "sort of" because I plan on staying on as a fill in for when I'm available.
Quitting my job was not an easy decision. There are some aspects of my job that I absolutely love! Knowing that I'm leaving the kids there, my kids, has been hard. On Wednesday I called up my best friend Megan and told her about my dilemma and she said something to the point of "R'ki, they aren't puppies, you can't take them home, you aren't happy, you need to move on." Which is exactly what I needed to hear.
Really, I already knew what she was going to say. Heck, I've been telling myself the exact same thing for the last couple of months. Still, it was nice to hear it from someone else. I decided to stay at the daycare as a fill in because, more then anything, I don't want to completely disappear from these kids lives. They're all really amazing kids and they've helped me learn and grow a lot. I have learned sooooo much from them.
For those of you who don't know I've been working on a series of drawings of Christ's hands. Recently, I made this one:
It's called "Child of God." When I first started working at the daycare I really struggled. I had a hard time with the kids and it felt like all of the kids were out to get me. In reality, I think they were just as nervous about meeting me as I was meeting them. Over these last couple of months I've learned that you can't judge a child based on your first impression of them. Rowdy boys can be supportive and tender, sweet little girls can be real brats when they want to be, and some of the kids that really struggle with processing can be the most sincere when giving compliments.
I had the chance to see their potential and to see them how Heavenly Father sees them.
Ever since Halloween when I dressed up as (a poor excuse of) a fox my daycare kids have known that my favorite animal is a fox and that my favorite color is orange. One of my older kids made this for me yesterday. She finished it and put it on the teacher table and didn't say anything until I noticed it sitting there. I hope these kids realize how much their small gifts mean to me. Every art I've received I've kept. I have two little shoe boxes that are my "memory boxes" and every art gets folded up and carefully put with the rest of my precious memories.
My heart breaks knowing that I'm leaving but I also know now that I want to be a Mom more then anything. I'm so grateful to these kids for helping me see that.


Never forget: You are awesome! I'm glad you had a good experience working with kids. You're going to be a great mom one day!
ReplyDelete